The Cat's Tale

The Student News Site of Canadian High School

The Cat's Tale

The Cat's Tale

Senior Jack Craft battled the massive Smokehouse Creek wildfire with the Locust Grove Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday, Feb. 27. Photo provided by Jack Craft.
Battling the Blaze
March 8, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Are orientation rotations beneficial?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Theatre department to perform interactive Murder in the Heir Oct. 21-22

After the success of last year’s productions Clue and Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol, Canadian Wildcat Theatre presents Murder in the Heir. Almost every character in this hilarious mystery has the weapon, opportunity, and motive to commit the unseen murder. And it’s up to the audience to decide who dunnit. With nine possible endings, the show will be performed on October 21-22. Tickets are available for purchase from any theatre student–adults are $10 and students are $5. Tickets will also be sold at the door.

Performers include Ainsley Cook as Fiona Starkweather, Carlie Renfro as Paula Starkweather, Emily Green as Simone Starkweather, Santiago Valenzuela as Simon Starkweather, Keller English as Jordan Starkweather, Addison L’Esperance as Mrs. Trent, Jennifer de la Cruz as Minerva, Avery Timmons as Nancy, Maggie Hanes as Lois Van Zandt, Konnar McClendon as Miss Withers Saturday, Alicia Munoz as Miss Withers Sunday, Emely Perez as Kathy, Ethan Gerhardt as Bensonhurst, Cole Walser as Rufus, and John Baker as Mike Davis. The crew includes Presley Harper and Will Fry as stage managers, Alicia Munoz on lights Saturday, Will Fry on lights Sunday, and Annabell Gilmour as sound. 

The production is directed by Mistie Walser with Danielle Ortega and Torra Wood as assistant directors. Walser chose Murder in the Heir because “the kids wanted to do a murder mystery and this one was fun.” The play also challenges the cast to improvise depending on who the audience votes to be the killer. 

The difference in Murder in the Heir compared to past shows is the interactive part. The cast has to be ready for whoever the audience votes as the killer. The rehearsals are “a lot of work, investing a lot of time, but it’s a talented group kids so we are coming in strong.” Walser has high hopes for the show and expects the cast to reach a higher level than the level they are at in rehearsals. 

Stage Manager Will Fry said he expects a larger turnout for Murder in the Heir because of Fall Foliage weekend. The audience will really like how they can directly impact how the show ends.

“This is the first time in my five years of doing theatre that we have done a play that has this much audience interaction,” Fry said. “If you enjoyed Clue last year, you’ll enjoy this year’s murder mystery.” 

Later in the year, students will perform in the winter production, Rumors, December 2-3. More information about that show will be updated in a later edition. 

Donate to The Cat's Tale

Your donation will support the student journalists of Canadian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.