The Cat's Tale

The Student News Site of Canadian High School

The Cat's Tale

The Cat's Tale

Senior Jack Craft battled the massive Smokehouse Creek wildfire with the Locust Grove Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday, Feb. 27. Photo provided by Jack Craft.
Battling the Blaze
March 8, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Are orientation rotations beneficial?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Cross Country Teams sweep district meet Wednesday

With the success of both the Lady Cats and Wildcats cross country teams this season, the expectations for the district meet this week was high. All teams—Lady Cats, Wildcats varsity, and Wildcats JV teams all placed first Wednesday at the District Cross Country Meet in Dalhart. This the third consecutive District Championship for the Lady Cats.    

Leading the Lady Cats, junior Konnar McClendon placed first, junior Arionna Black placed 3rd, and junior Elizabeth Guerrero, 9th. For the Wildcats varsity team, sophomore C.J. Jimenez placed 1st, senior Anderson Perkins placed 2nd, and junior Jose Vargas took 6th.   

“A perfect score in cross country is 15,” cross country boys coach, Jay McCook said. “We scored 18!”

Both the Lady Cats and Wildcats advanced to the Region I meet in Lubbock on October 23. 

“We had to work even harder to come home as district champ this year,” varsity runner, McClendon said. 

Head girls Coach Aaron Marks echoed McClendon’s sentiments. He said he is excited for regionals with it being the 3rd year there. 

“We expect to have a great showing there and hope to advance to state again,” Marks said. “Motivation has just been trying to get better each day. Our motto this year has been ‘next step’ and we are trying to be better than the day before.”    

And with this motivation, the girls’ team hopes to advance to state again. Kara Perry, McClendon’s mother, said she is confident in our team’s performance.     

“I am so proud for all the XC runners. I think it takes a special person to have the grit and heart to be a great runner,” McClendon said. “I am excited to go see everyone run at Region, but the real goal is watching all of them compete at state in Round Rock. Go get ‘em!!! It’s time for the ‘Next Step’! Love all of you!!!”

Donate to The Cat's Tale

Your donation will support the student journalists of Canadian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.