The Cat's Tale

The Student News Site of Canadian High School

The Cat's Tale

The Cat's Tale

Senior Jack Craft battled the massive Smokehouse Creek wildfire with the Locust Grove Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday, Feb. 27. Photo provided by Jack Craft.
Battling the Blaze
March 8, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Are orientation rotations beneficial?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Wildcats Rule Over the Elks

After a devastating lost against the Elks last year, the Wildcats came back this year with a dominating score of 45 to 19 for a win. Last year the Wildcats lost in over-time with an ending score of 36-37.

Athletic director and head football coach Andy Cavalier said the game started off similarly to last years but ended differently for a couple of reasons.

“First, we were able to get them stopped and off the field on defense,” Coach Cavalier said. “Secondly, we were more efficient on offense and were able to take advantage of scoring opportunities.” Coach Cavalier said he was not once surprised about the outcome of the game, because he knew the win would require a hard-fighting and physical game, and “that’s exactly what it was.”

Going back to last year’s game, senior quarterback captain Camren Cavalier said the team was ahead of themselves, getting really “hothead”, and thinking the win was theirs before the game even started. To redeem themselves this year, Cavalier said the team was ready to get the chip off their shoulders from last year, so they prepared themselves mentally and physically knowing “we had to be perfect at our job.” Before the game, Cavalier said, “I was definitely nervous, but was excited to be out there with my teammates and in the end, I was able to conquer something greater than myself.”

When asking senior captain Leon Tu about the difference between this game and last years he said, “I think this year our offense played smarter with the ball as well as our defense being able to get more stops.”

Overall, senior captain Ty Curbo said practices before the game were going great and the team felt confident. “With more people knowing their job this year…we came out tougher in the end,” Curbo said.

Donate to The Cat's Tale

Your donation will support the student journalists of Canadian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.