The Cat's Tale

The Student News Site of Canadian High School

The Cat's Tale

The Cat's Tale

Senior Jack Craft battled the massive Smokehouse Creek wildfire with the Locust Grove Volunteer Fire Department on Tuesday, Feb. 27. Photo provided by Jack Craft.
Battling the Blaze
March 8, 2024
Poll

This poll has ended.

Are orientation rotations beneficial?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

CHS Field Dedicated to Chris Koetting

The CISD board of trustees held a ceremony during senior night’s halftime on Oct. 27, naming the Wildcat Stadium’s field in honor of former head coach Chris Koetting for his contributions to the school’s athletic program.

A bronze plaque commemorating Coach Koetting’s achievements and success will be installed at the north end of the stadium. Additionally, a special shadow box containing Coach Koetting’s familiar Wildcat sweatshirt, “also known as big game gray”, as well as medals from Canadian High School’s state championships will be kept on permanent display in the Miles Henderson field house.

“Coach Koetting helped secure Canadian’s position as one of the all-time great football programs in the state,” former CISD Superintendent Kyle Lynch said, citing Coach Koetting’s winning record leading the Wildcats to “a staggering 164 and 25 record” with an overall 87 percent of games won, advancing to the state semifinals 10 out of 13 seasons, and bringing home state championships in 2014, 2015, and 2020.

“Without a doubt, Chris Koetting will go down as one of the greatest coaches in Texas high school football history,” Lynch said.

Perhaps more important than his wins was Coach Koetting’s commitment to developing character off of the field, Lynch said.

“As good as his statistics are, Coach Koetting’s greatest accomplishments are more than wins, and championships, beyond trophies, records, titles…It was important to him that he gave our kids way more. He wanted his players to learn lessons about being a good father, a good husband, and a good community member.”

Koetting’s career is not only distinguished by his athletic accomplishments but also his “humility and commitment to kids and his desire to do the right thing” that endears him to his players and the community as a whole, Lynch said.

In response to his commemoration during half time, Koetting posted a statement on Facebook expressing his gratitude for the ceremony.

“Thank you for letting me have the opportunity to coach your kids. We have the best kids and parents in the state” Koetting said. “Since the first day I set foot in Canadian, I have been treated so well. I love this community and Canadian will always be my home.”

Many former Canadian Wildcats, some of whom now have their own children in Canadian schools,  attended the ceremony, including 2005 graduate Abraham Herrera, who said being on the field “took me back got 2004 standing under the Friday night lights with Coach Lynch, Koetting, [Tim] Fletcher, [Hayden] Merket, and [Bruce] Bryant.”

“I thought it [field naming] was well deserved for the type of person Koetting is on and off the field, and I was honored to be a part of it,” Herrera said.

The board will present a banner replication of the plaque to Koetting. The Canadian Education Foundation also designed a special poster, making only 2 prints in commemoration of the Chris Koetting Field naming event.

“Chris Koetting, thank you for all you’ve done, and how you’ve done it. It’s truly fitting that this field bears the Koetting name” Lynch said. “Your conduct in leading the athletic program with such class and character, makes us all proud to be a Wildcat.”

Donate to The Cat's Tale

Your donation will support the student journalists of Canadian High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.